How to convert my UK size to a German size?

For English-speaking users. Beta-Phase.

Beitragvon Prinzessin Mango » 9 Juli 2015, 10:30

Hi, sorry to bother you guys, but I measured myself with the instructions of an English-speaking bra fitting community (/r/abrathatfits) and I measure around 32GG/H in UK sizes.

However, I live in Frankfurt now and so I was really wondering what my size is in German? Especially my cup size! How can I best calculate that for retailers that don't list the UK size?

My German is not so great yet, so it's a bit intimidating to do a whole Erstberatungs-thread in German on the other forum, but for basic measurements I have:

Underbust Measurement
[*] Snug but Comfortable: 83cm
[*] Tight: 79.5cm
[*] Very Tight: 76.5cm

Overbust Measure
[*] Standing: 102cm
[*] Leaning: 119cm
[*] Lying Down: 110cm

Other potentially helpful details are that I currently own a 34F that is stabbing me in the side and a 34H that feels comfortable but wrinkles at the top of the bra cup. Also My breasts are kind of saggy.

Thank you!
Neuling

Re: How to convert my UK size to a German size?

Beitragvon karma » 9 Juli 2015, 10:59

Hi Prinzessin Mango!
Welcome to our community, *bhfahne* at least a few lurking around here are quite confident in both languages, so don't bother, we will get you started in German Bra Sizing :D

First off: I unfortunately have to mention that the German retailers do not carry a wide range of bra sizes, that's one of the major reasons why nearly the entire community here orders in UK to enjoy the range and fit of brands like Freya, Cleo and so on... most of them have their sizes up to 32F - if you're lucky.

Depending on where you are, you can have a look at "recommended offline shops" which carry the UK-sized brands too, sorted by postal code, in that part of the forum, you can have a look here.

Regarding conversion itself. It is not very accurate (or at all...) it should be something around 70 J/K. (Someone else, please correct me, if I got it wrong again....) You won't find that sizes in most of the shops around here - maybe someone actually living in Germany can remember some stores (I can think of Change, Hunkemöller, but that's already it). The sizing in that range differs vastly from brand to brand, you really need to try on quite a few to find one that actually fits, we go so far to say that conversion is unreliable....
The cup conversion technically is straight forward, we do not carry double letters and strictly count on from that, means:
UK vs German:
D -> D
DD -> E
E -> F
F -> G
FF -> H
G -> I
GG -> J
H -> K
HH ->L
and so on. Bands are with 30 =65, 32=70, 34=75, 36=80 and so on.

There is a german article regarding troubles in conversion in our BraWiki.

Regarding the fit and the small issues you mentioned (wrinkles and so on) you could also get some input here if you'd like (we have an restricted area where to upload photos), often we fit with a little looser band to avoid wires beeing stretched too much, but that's already "advanced" stuff, sorry, I always tend to talk too much *verlegen*

Whew... well, that's what I can think of at the moment, I guess someone with similar sizes can maybe give more clues how to best get around German Shops and how to find nice bras there :)

If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good. - Dr. Seuss
BH-Größe: UK 30F (ehm. 32F) • EU 
Alte BH-Größe: 75C/80D
UBU: 66 • 74 cm
BU: 89 • 84 • 92 cm
Schwanger: nein • am Stillen: nein

BH-log
Erstberatung

Beitragvon Caillean » 9 Juli 2015, 11:17

Welcome :)
The funny thing is, we (on this forum) use the British system a lot and even order British bras (they have a wider selection), so if you come here with a 32GG/H we know what you mean :)

German (continental) system:
Band width: 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110... (In cm... 5 cm added between sizes)
Cup sizes: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M... (2cm added for each size)

British system:
Bands: 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50... (Similar to continental 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90...)Each band is 2inches (~5cm) bigger than the previous size. So 34 would convert to 75 and 32 would convert to 70.
Cups: (AA) A, B, C, D, DD, E, F, FF, G, GG, H, HH, J, JJ, K, KK... (1inch=2,5 cm added, so no exact conversion is possible between German and British cups)

On top of that, many (British) bras sold in Germany convert the band but not the cup (so they sell a 34F as 75F instead of a (roughly converted) 75G (or is it H?).

In Germany you (32GG/H)would have to look for (very roughly) 70J/K and then narrow it down...

Edit: Aaaarg karma was quicker :) I'll leave my text anyways it was so much to type on my phone
Bra-Fitting-Lehrling
BH-Größe: UK 38F • EU 
Alte BH-Größe: 90D, 95D, 85D
UBU: 92 • 101 cm
BU: 118 • 116 • 121 cm

BH-log
Erstberatung

Beitragvon little_wolf » 9 Juli 2015, 14:28

I just want to add that if you want to order from a german online shop you could try asos and lace.de - but with both there is trial and error regarding which size you order and which you get. At asos I usually order a 85K and get a 38H, 90J -> 40GG, 95i -> 42G.. so I guess you could try ordering a 70J/K which should probably be a 32GG/H.

I like asos because returns are free and you can take the parcel to both DHL and Hermes. Also you can order on account which is nice.

If you want to order from the UK you should know that the cheapest return method would be the "Groß-/Maxibrief International mit Einschreiben" which costs 5,60€ to 9,15€ (depending on weight) and is insured up to 500€ - afair.
BH-Größe: UK 38G? • EU 
Alte BH-Größe: 95B/C
UBU: 97 • 109 cm
BU: 125 • 124 • 128 cm
Schwanger: Nein • am Stillen: Nein

BH-log
Erstberatung

Beitragvon Kaylin » 9 Juli 2015, 14:30

And another idea on top since you said you live in Frankfurt: Try http://www.formsache-brafitting.de/ - I am sure Agnes will find the perfect fitting bra :)
"They might or they might not," said Winnie-the- Pooh. "You never can tell with bees." [A.A.Milne, Winnie-The-Pooh]
Redakteurin
BH-Größe: UK 38H/40GG • EU -
Alte BH-Größe: 95/100/105 D
UBU: 93 • 103 cm
BU: 123 • 125 • 137 cm

BH-log
Erstberatung

Beitragvon Amagea » 9 Juli 2015, 15:18

Hello and welcome,
just my 5 cents: if you tell Agnes what brand of bra you were wearing before (and the problems you had with them) it might help her to find out the proper width underwires, and similar details. Better yet - take them along for the fitting, should you decide to meet up with her.
And should you feel more comfortable with just the advice from our online community then you have already gotten an idea that there are a number of people here happy to dust off their english knowledge and put it to practice for you. *wink*
Meine aktuellen Flohmarkt-Angebote: 38H/38HH/38J/40H/40HH z. B.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=47628
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=47627
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=47632
BH-Größe: UK 38J/HH/40H • EU 85K/90i/j
Alte BH-Größe: 95E-105E
UBU: 95 • 104 cm
BU: 129 • 129 • 130 cm

BH-log
Erstberatung

Beitragvon tantal » 9 Juli 2015, 15:33

Hi and welcome :)

If you want to order at asos and with English being your native language (?) it's probably easier ordering from the asos.co.uk size. That way sizes are in the UK system and delivery is still free for orders over 30€ (or something along those lines) and also pretty fast.

AFAIK lace.de only translates the band but not the cupsizes when you order brands that use the UK sizing system.
So you'd order 70GG for a 32GG.
Good luck with finding the perfectly fitting bra and have fun in this forum :)
They call me the queen of procrastination for a reason. I'll explain later.
Flohmarkt
Panache Sports 30D, Cleo Maddie 30DD, Cleo Darcy Heartprint 28E, Cleo Juna 32DD
eher unregelmäßig anwesend
Ehemaliges Team-Mitglied
BH-Größe: UK 30DD/28E • EU 
Alte BH-Größe: 70C
UBU: 67 • 72 cm
BU: 83 • • 85 cm

BH-log

Zurück zu Bosom Friends International