What's going on in the international scene?

For English-speaking users. Beta-Phase.

What's going on in the international scene?

Beitragvon Salami » 16 Januar 2014, 18:43

Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to this forum -- to be honest, I'm pretty new to the idea that bras actually can fit, although, now that I think about it, wearing a fitted bra should be natural, shouldn't it. I mean, why didn't I recognize for 10 years or more that my bras didn't fit?

Headoloy wrote:
headology hat geschrieben: At the moment there's already a lot of discussions going on on Facebook, on the blogs, on Bratabase, on Reddit - what we could add to that would be the collected experience of a large and relatively old bra fitting community, and that's what we have to advertise. (IMO)

So I'm wondering: what are these discussions about? And what do people here think?
BH-Größe: UK 28E, 30DD • EU 65E
Alte BH-Größe: 75B, 34B
UBU: 64 • 68 cm
BU: 78 • 79 • 83 cm

BH-log

Re: What's going on in the international scene?

Beitragvon Fizzl » 16 Januar 2014, 19:21

mainly reverse letterphobia xD. I guess you can call it like that. Sure there are a lot of other topics, but a lot of people of the international bra fitting scene are stuck in reverse letterphobia :).
no more machineguns - play the guitar!!!

B und C sind nicht der Durchschnitt! Mit den gängigen UBB sind die viel zu klein für die meisten Frauen!!!
Inaktives Team-Mitglied
BH-Größe: UK 32FF/ 30G • EU 
Alte BH-Größe: 85E
UBU: 70 • 74 cm
BU: 96 • 97 • 100 cm
Schwanger: nein • am Stillen: nein

BH-log

Beitragvon Salami » 16 Januar 2014, 19:30

letterphilia ;)

*klugscheiß*

What does it actually mean? People intentionally picking a too tight band in order to get a higher cup size?

BH-log

Beitragvon Fizzl » 16 Januar 2014, 19:35

basically more like they never want to have too loose bands anymore and because of that take bands too tight. So the tigh band stretches the wires and they will be to wide. That reduces the cupvolume as it is used for lengthening the tight band. So you need to take even larger cupsizes.
Also it does not feel that supportive as the cupvolume used for lenghtening the backband is not as supportive as the backband itself. So they think they need even tighter band which leads to even larger cups...

here headology wrote about it:
http://drueberunddrunter.blogspot.de/20 ... d-war.html
no more machineguns - play the guitar!!!

B und C sind nicht der Durchschnitt! Mit den gängigen UBB sind die viel zu klein für die meisten Frauen!!!
Inaktives Team-Mitglied
BH-Größe: UK 32FF/ 30G • EU 
Alte BH-Größe: 85E
UBU: 70 • 74 cm
BU: 96 • 97 • 100 cm
Schwanger: nein • am Stillen: nein

BH-log

Beitragvon Salami » 18 Januar 2014, 12:26

Thanks a lot, that was very interesting. So 'reversed letter phobia' has nothing to do with the letters/cup sizes at all, but it is the fear of wearing a too lose band.

Honestly, this might be the case with myself. I've always worn bras with way too wide bands (34). Now I've switched to 28, which sits tight and secure. However, I am not very squeezable, and I find the wires lying right on the ribs, which gets quite hurtful over the day.
Perhaps I should try 30 instead, although I'm really afraid that it might wander. And, of course, in the end it varies from bra to bra, model to model, how tight the bands run.

I might add to the discussion that in not-so-squeezable women the risk of a wandering band is higher than in more squeezable women since the band has less grip. So not-so-squeezable women would need comparatively tighter bands whereas at the same time tighter bands are less comfortable to them since the wires might press against the ribs.

BH-log

Beitragvon Aletris » 18 Januar 2014, 14:12

I think one point that contributes to reversed letterphobia might be just this: different bras do have bands of differents lenght/tightness, in spite of being "the same size"; and the area between bands that are too loose and bands that are too tight can be quite small, even in one and the same bra. So when you try to avoid too loose bands, the comfort zone may easily be missed when you just narrow it down to "I need THAT size".
Bra-Fitterin
BH-Größe: UK 34DD/E; 32F; 36DD • EU 75F (EU-Schnitte aber unpassend)
UBU: 72 • 80 cm
BU: 97 • 96,5 • 103,5 cm

BH-log
Steckbrief
Erstberatung

Beitragvon Salami » 18 Januar 2014, 15:04

Absolutely. There are even variations in the same model among various colors.

BH-log

Beitragvon headology » 18 Januar 2014, 17:51

There has been a lot of unfriendliness going on in the boobosphere regarding the reversed letterphobia allegation, you might even call it an Anglophone-Polish-War, because it's actually rather nasty. Which may also be due to the fact that for the Polish participants English is a foreign language and there are different kinds of cultural understandings of politeness and such things.

However, in my opinion the Polish side sometimes overreacts by being know-it-alls while the English-speaking side is - as Aletris put it - somewhat size-fixated. A bad fit is often ascribed to an incompatibility with the style rather than simply to the wrong size. That may also feed the tendency of Reversed Letterphobia...

We had very similar tendencies in 2009/2010 when we thought we already knew everything about bra fitting and never bothered with self-reflection. I guess it's often the dogmatism of the newly-fitted that's hard to go up against. YSJ who was chiefly responsible for questioning our theories and fitting advice encountered a lot of hostility... well... it was not nice, back then.
*wallows in nostalgia* ;-)
Follow the tiger rabbit to ★ drueber & drunter
Moderatorin
BH-Größe: UK 32J • EU 
Alte BH-Größe: 36FF
UBU: 75 • 83 cm
BU: 109 • 111 • 118 cm

Beitragvon Aletris » 18 Januar 2014, 18:07

That discussion obviously worked out fine. When I came here in April 2011, I already was scolded for judging bands according to "whether I can close them comfortably", and "When it stays where you put it, it is tight enough" had become the general rule. :)
Bra-Fitterin
BH-Größe: UK 34DD/E; 32F; 36DD • EU 75F (EU-Schnitte aber unpassend)
UBU: 72 • 80 cm
BU: 97 • 96,5 • 103,5 cm

BH-log
Steckbrief
Erstberatung

Zurück zu Bosom Friends International